Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Platypus Sport Bottle


... I used my Platy (as I lovingly call it) every day last summer as a camp counselor. It was used and abused in rough, dirty situations but never failed me. I've only used my Platy to carry water so I don't know how it holds up to other beverages, however, these are some notes I have compiled about it:

- Unlike hard plastic bottles, an empty Platy can fold up into your pocket or backpack for anytime when you need to wait until you get into your destination to fill it (for instance, going through security at an airport or getting into a theme park that doesn't allow outside drinks).

- This bottle is definitely a conversation piece; all of the kids thought it was the coolest thing ever and the other counselors were jealous that I always seemed to have a water bottle at a moments notice.

- The Platy is much easier to fill from a faucet than a babbling brook but with some practice you can figure it out. One of my friends, a avid backpacker and hiker, regularly fills her Platy bottle while out in the wildness so I know it can be done.

- I accidentally left my Platy half full of water for a few months but, miraculously, with only a little soap and water swished around, it is back to new! The plastic doesn't retain any scents or flavors.

- Platy bottles can be used with warm or cold beverages. They are not insulated at all but I have found that they hold in the cold or heat for a reasonable amount of time. Some have suggested using them as a heat pack on cold nights. I can also attest that they make a fine cold pack if you get a little overheated.

- The 1.0 liter Platy is big and does take some getting use to. It is perfect for outdoor activities where you want a lot of water handy but maybe not so good for a jog down the block. Keep in mind, however, that it is a bag and therefore more squishy and flexible to pack in a backpack or hold in your hand.

I love my 1.0 liter Platy so much that I am going to buy the smaller, more conveniently sized .5 liter to be my everyday bottle. ...
Check Amazon Price and Read More Reviews on Platypus Sport Bottle

Labels